New Sony Alpha 7C - Shooting for the Title of World’s Smallest Full-Frame Camera
Available 10/28 | Body (1,799); 28-60 lens kit ($2,099) | Preorder: 510-548-6888
Compact size with full frame power: Weighing in at a mere 17.9 ounces, and measuring 2.8” x 4.9” x 2.3” inches, it truly is the world’s smallest full-frame camera that also has In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS). The Sony a7C also represents a dramatic shift in design. Take a look at the camera and you’ll see what we mean. This new design could help shape the future of Sony Alpha cameras, and also meets the demand for a full-frame camera but with a smaller form factor, similar to APS-C (cropped sensor) cameras.
Another way to think of the Sony a7C is that it’s a more affordable a7 III, with only a few compromises such as the smaller size of the EVF and lesser video quality (albeit, the video quality will be perfectly suited to many of you). The a7C also uses the same 24MP full-frame sensor as the a7 III, BUT is powered by a newer processor and has the latest Sony autofocus system. Not to mention, the super powerful (and popular) Face and Eye Detection (for both people and pets) are built in.
- The camera body has a very compact form factor with sealing to protect it from dust and water splash
- Roughly 20% smaller than it’s closest full-frame peer, the Sony a7 III
- The camera has the newest Autofocus (AF) implementation and is a step up from the a7 III
- On the back you will find a fully articulating touchscreen that can face forward for Vlogs and selfies
- 24.2MP CMOS image sensor
- BIONZ X image processor
- ISO up to 204,800
- 5-axis in-body image stabilization
- Hybrid AF with real-time Eye AF (human and animal) and real-time Tracking AF
- Continuous shooting at up to 10 frames per second
- 4K UHD video capabilities with fast Hybrid AF and real-time Eye AF
- Industry-leading battery life rated for 740 images and 225 minutes of video capture
LET’S TALK VIDEO
With the Sony a7C, video is capped at 8-bit 4K at 30p. Nothing new here, but according to Sony the bit depth was kept to 8-bit to ensure fills size remains manageable for both capture and editing later on. This also means that the a7C does NOT have recording limits – and the 4K video is oversampled full width 6K, which leads us to believe the video quality should be quite good. And, it does have Sony’s S-Log2, S-Log3 and HLG modes, as well as mic and headphone ports, and full 120p HD.
LET’S TALK AUTOFOCUS
Incredibly, with the Sony a7C you get Sony’s best and newest autofocus system, with 693 phase AF points and 425 contrast AF points. This covers 93% of the entire frame. It can be argued that this AF system is the most advanced on the market. As mentioned before, it has the Real Time Eye AF (humans AND animals), left/right eye and Real Time Tracking. This is what you receive on the Sony Alpha flagship, the a7T IV. Yes, you read that right!
BRAND NEW KIT LENS
New to the Sony lineup, and currently only available kitted with the Sony a7C is the FE 28-60mm F4-5.6. While this has less zoom range than their previous FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 IS kit lens, Sony says it will deliver sharper photos and deliver on the small form factor promise of the a7C.
ALPHA 7C ANNOUNCEMENT VIDEO (15 minutes long!)
AVAILABLE COLORS (black and silver/black)