Olympus once again challenges conventional lens design with the new Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-100mm f4.0 IS PRO (24–200mm focal length in 35mm equivalent), a compact, lightweight, high-magnification zoom lens that maintains a constant aperture of f4.0 from wide angle to telephoto. This addition to the M.ZUIKO PRO series incorporates powerful image stabilization (IS) and covers a focal length range that typically would require two zoom lenses to deliver unrivaled mobility for professionals looking to capture outstanding images in an expanded array of handheld shooting situations.
- Compact, lightweight, high-performance, high-magnification zoom lens: The Olympus M.ZUIKO Digital ED 12-100mm f4.0 IS PRO has been added to the high-performance M.ZUIKO PRO series to meet the needs of professional photographers. Multiple special lens elements provide a high-magnification factor and superior resolution in a compact lens body. The DSA (Dual Super Aspherical) lenses, HR (high refractive index) lenses, and Super HR (super-high refractive index) lenses have been combined to effectively correct chromatic aberration and minimize the number of lens elements in the configuration, reducing the overall length of the lens. The use of glass materials with a higher refractive index than that of previous DSA lenses has resulted in smaller lens diameters. This makes it possible to build a single lens that covers the focal length of two typical professional zoom lenses. By using multiple ED lenses, the color fringing that tends to occur in telephoto shooting is thoroughly reduced, maintaining high resolution and edge-to-edge sharpness across the entire zoom range. Olympus Z Coating Nano lens coating technology provides sharp, clear image quality by virtually eliminating flare in backlit situations and maintaining resolution when strong light sources are present in the frame.
- 5-Axis Sync IS, the world's most powerful image stabilization with 6.5 shutter speed steps of compensation performance: The Olympus M.ZUIKO 12-100mm f4.0 IS PRO is equipped with a built-in image stabilization system for blur-free shooting across the entire high-magnification zoom range. By pairing the lens with a compatible Olympus OM-D or PEN camera, the lens stabilization works in sync with the camera’s in-body stabilization to create 5-Axis Sync IS, the world’s most powerful stabilization system providing up to 6.5 shutter speed steps of compensation performance. Because the in-lens image stabilization alone provides up to five shutter speed steps of compensation performance, the lens can even be used with other camera bodies unequipped with image stabilization.
- Macro capabilities with a minimum working distance of 1.5 cm and a maximum shooting magnification of 0.6x (35mm equivalent): The close focusing distance of 15 cm at the 12mm wide-angle setting makes it possible to take close-up shots up to 1.5 cm away from the end of the lens, while the maximum shooting magnification of 0.6x (35mm equivalent) opens up new possibilities of expression. The lens design features superb close-up shooting performance even at other focal lengths, with a minimum working distance of 27 cm and a maximum shooting magnification of 0.42x (35mm equivalent) at the 100mm telephoto setting.
- The lens features dust-proof and splash-proof construction, with hermetic sealing in 12 locations. When combined with dust-proof, splash-proof and freeze-proof bodies available in the Olympus OM-D series, users can take advantage of all types of shooting environments.
- This lens boasts the same high-quality metal exterior design as the other lenses in the M.ZUIKO PRO series. It is equipped with the Manual Focus Clutch mechanism, which makes switching to manual focus possible by pulling the focusing ring toward you. The lens barrel features the Image Stabilization activation switch and the L-Fn button to pause autofocus or assign other custom settings.